Sunday, November 22, 2009

Let The Love Start With You

I have been doing a lot of thinking about giving lately. As well, the girls and I have been working on various philanthropy projects this year. It has been rewarding to watch them turn their focus to others, and to be excited about it.

I was in church this morning and felt a real call to action, which I am about to share with you. Allow me to set the scene. Cornerstone Christian Church. Pastors in jeans. Four electric guitars, four vocalists, one keyboard, one drummer. Congregation is alive. I arrive. Deep breath, close eyes, I'm here, you're here... listening for your voice. Where two or more are gathered.

Pastor began a four week series called, Change My Christmas [dot] com. The sermon began with this. http://changemychristmas.com/ Please click this link and hit play when the video pops up. I saw this and was able to get behind the idea immediately. It had already been on my heart to do Christmas differently this year, I just wasn't sure what that was going to look like until today. Though I would have been tempted to be up at the crack of dawn, with a Starbucks in hand, ready to get my shop on this upcoming black Friday, I am now turning my focus elsewhere.

This is the video I really want you to see. Go back to the website listed above. Click on BE INVOLVED. Scroll down and watch the two and a half minute video called Love 146- The History. Love 146 is an organization that works toward the abolition of child sex slavery. I want you to see this video because I was moved by it. Because most of the time, I don't allow myself to think about it. And because now that I have, I want to advocate for these children.

Over the next two weeks, I will have the opportunity to hear Rob Morris, the founder of Love 146, as well as Christa Hayden from human rights agency, International Justice Mission, speak about this issue. I invite any of my New York readers to join me if you want to learn more about these organizations. For those of you outside of New York, I will give you a full report after I hear them speak.

Though this is not a cause I am going to forget about after Christmas, I will allow the Christmas season to kick off my call to act. I hereby give myself, and you, permission, are you ready...

To think of others needs and how you can help meet them
To have gratitude and express gratitude daily
To be creative in how you express that gratitude.. write, create, etc.
Scale back on gifts and consider where that money would be better spent

Rather than participating in the traditional Christmas shop-fest, I will be donating to Love 146 and IJM. Though you will not see the usual holiday spread from me this year, you will feel my love nonetheless.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer! I'm Christa from IJM! :) We have a scan that pops up webpages that mention IJM and yours came up this morning. I'm looking forward to visiting Cornerstone in December. We at IJM are also excited about your passion for serving others this Christmas and the way you are engaging others to do the same through your blog. Very awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Girl - Loved the blog (always do). Looking forward to hearing about the talks you are planning to attend. I'd encourage you to connect with Emma's 'Slavery no more' service group and talk to them at one of their meetings about what you've heard and learned. You go girl. GDB2

    ReplyDelete